Presbyterian Medical CenterENGLISH

KOREAN

language

go

Jeonju History SINCE 1898 처음부터 늘 한결같이

homeBrief History of Presbyterian medical centerBrief History of Presbyterian medical center

Brief History of Presbyterian medical center

Brief History of Presbyterian medical center

게시판 뷰페이지
뷰페이지

photo  The Presbyterian medical center in Jeonju, Korea, has been fulfilling its role of providing medical care and proclaiming the gospel for 112 years, beginning from the opening of a dispensary on November 3, 1898 by Dr. Mattie B. Ingold, a woman physician from Hickory, North Carolina in the United States of America. After graduating first in her class at Baltimore Women's Medical College, she prepared herself for a missionary career and, at age 30, left for Korea on July 18, 1897, traveling to a country which was in turmoil and had not yet recovered from the scars of the Tong-Hak Revolution. At her farewell service at the First Presbyterian Church of Rock Hill, S.C., she said, "I do not fear what may befall me. I am in God's keeping and nothing can come to me without His permission and whatever his sends is right and good."
After four months of a long and rough voyage, she arrived in Jeonju and was assigned by the Presbyterian Mission to live in a ordinary, small Korean house with mud walls and straw-thatched roof in Eun-Song Li, outside the Jeonju City castle-gates. After

studying the Korean language for 1 year, she opened the door of her simple dispensary for treatment of women and children. This was the modest beginning of the Presbyterian Medical Center on November 3, 1898. In 1902, the first western-style outpatient clinic was built for her by a fellow-missionary, the Rev. William B. Harrison. In 1903, Dr. Wylie H. Forsythe was appointed to serve at this dispensary in Jeonju. After his arrival in Jeonju, his deep and unceasing devotion to the care of the sick, the underprivileged, and leprosy patients became well known but he had to withdraw from the field due to injuries by Tong-Hak Revolution. In 1912, the third hospital director, Dr. Thomas H. Daniel, built a clean, tidy 30-bed hospital which served well until it was destroyed by fire in 1935 while Dr. Lloyd K. Boggs was director. The hospital was rebuilt by Dr. Boggs the following year with the help of many church people in the Jeonju community.

In 1940, the hospital was closed for 8 years as a consequence of Japanese colonial coercion when authorities compelled all christians and their institutions to bow at Shinto Shrines. In 1950, the hospital was closed temporarily due to the Korean War. In spite of the years of instability, the hospital made every effort to fulfill its role as a witness to Jesus Christ by practicing christian love in the community and beyond. In 1947, Dr. Paul S. Crane, the 7th hospital director, returned to Korea where he had grown up as a boy, and with the concurrence of the Mission, conducted (with Miss Margaret Pritchard, R.N.) a tour of the five hospitals built by the Southern Presbyterian Church in Southwest Korea. Dr. Crane and' Miss Pritchard concluded that the hospital in Jeonju should be developed into a teaching hospital, and received Mission approval. The doors of the newly named Presbyterian Medical Center were opened on April 1, 1948.

The Nursing College, under the leadership of Miss Pritchard, opened its doors on July 1, 1950, only to have to close due to the outbreak of the Korean War. This made necessary the evacution of the hospital in advance of the communist forces' invasion, and escaping to Pusan. Dr. Crane returned after the southern part of the peninsula was liberated, and became deeply involved in the care of war casualties and orphans. He also resumed the plans for development of the hospital into a teaching and educational institution for training doctors and nurses. In 1954, Dr. and Mrs. David Seel arrived to help, he as a surgeon, and she as a medical technologist. Ms. Janet Talmage became superintendent of Nurses when Ms. Pritchard became Dean of the Nursing School. Dr. Frank Keller, a pediatrician, arrivied in 1956, followed by Miss Ocie Respess, a medical technologist, Ms. Betty Boyer, R.N., Ms. Patricia Heilig, R.N., and later Ms. Pat Whitener, R.N., Among our national staff members, Dr. Andrew Young-Hoon Park was a strong spiritual leader and also one of the first sabbatical fellows-he trained in America in neurosurgery-to head a clinical department.

During these pioneer days there occurred a memorable event when a 9-year-old child was deposited on the hospital doorstep acutely ill with bowel obstruction due to parasites. A surgical procedure was performed to remove the parasites, and when the worms were counted it was found that there were 1,063 roundworms blocking the small intestine. Unfortunately, due to the child's weakened condition, he did not survive. But under Dr. Crane's initiative, a nationwide-movement was launched to fight infestation by intestinal parasites, which campaign is said to have been very effective.

Following the suggestion of a certain christian elder from Samnae, the name of the hospital was changed to 'Yesu Pyungwon' . Until then it had used Chinese characters which were pronounced 'Yaso Pyungwon' . The elder recognized the importance of using the common-place name in accord with Korean christian usage rather than the Chinese character derivative.

As the hospital program grew and comprehensive care was provided, specialists were trained not only in the major specialties of internal medicine, surgery, pediatric and obstetric/gynecology, but also in subspecialties such as clinical pathology, anatomical pathology, radiology, urology, and neurosurgery. Dr. See I received training in surgical oncology in 1958-60 and returned to PMC to launch the Tumor Clinic.

Although the Presbyterian medical center was the first modern hospital in the province, its site on Taga Hill was inadequate, providing no room for expansion. Dr. Frank Keller suggested obtaining a plot of ground which had been used as a primary school by the Mission, but which had to be closed when the government took over all elementary education. Dr. Keller, who married Miss Talmage in 1955, died of cerebrovascular hemorrhage in 1967, and is buried in the Mission Cemetery in Jeonju. His love for Korean children is yet remembered. A campaign to raise funds through the Women's Birthday Offering of the Southern Prebyterian Church was launched. Dr. Crane began negotiations with the Protestant Central Agency of West Germany for major development funds. After 4 years of discussions and negotiation with this agency, a grant of 5 million Deutschemark was approved on October 10, 1969. Prior to this time, Dr. Crane had retired from the directorship and returned to America. When the news of the German Grant was received, Dr Seel, now Director said, 'Ring the Chapel Bell!'

Construction of the new hospital (initially 5 floors above ground) was completed in 1971. When people saw this hospital they called it 'The Miracle of Dragon-Head Ridge' . Additions since the basic construction include the Medical Library, the Emergency Care Center, the Maternity Ward and Neonatal Unit, completion of the 6th and 7th floors, construction of the Rehabilitation Center, and the Intensive Care Unit. In 1968, a comprehensive community health program was launched by Dr. John K. Wilson, beginning in Tong Sang Township and extended to Soyang and Yongjin Townships. The program included community development and sanitation, an antituberculosis campaign, a poliomyelitis prevention project, and adult medical care of a rural area which had not been cared for by the government public health program. In 1982, a small branch hospital and a rehabilitation center in Kosan were built to provide community health to these rural areas. In 1972, Dr. John Shaw, an orthopedic surgeon, and his wife, Sharon, an occupational therapist, joined the staff, not only to care for children and adults with orthopedic problems, but also to develop the program of rehabilitation medicine. This led to the building of the first inpatient rehabilitation ward in Korea, construction and equipment having been donated by the Office of American Schools and Hospitals Aboard.

The year 1979 was the turning point for this hospital which moved forward from being a 'missionary receiving hospital' to a 'missionary sending hospital' to other more needy countries. In 1979, Dr. Yong-Ung Lee, an internist, was sent to Bangladesh as a medical missionary. Since then, more than 20 doctors and nurses from this hospital have served or are still serving overseas in projects in many underprivileged countries, including providing emergency care facilities for refugees in Rwanda.

The tumor registry program and the tumor clinic which had been instituted in 1963 became the basis for the plan to establish the Cancer Center. This long-range plan supported by the construction, in 1985, of the Christian Medical Research Center where studies in nuclear medicine now offer new insights into the cause of several major cancers. In the same year, 1985, the radiation therapy department was strengthened by the acquisition of a linear accelerator. Plans for the future onclude construction of a Cancer Center for both ambulatory and inpatient care, where patients can be evaluated and cared for under multidisciplinary management In 1987, Dr. Young-Tae Chung became the first Korean hospital director. In 1991, Dr. EulSam Chung was elected the 14th director, who tried to maintain financial stability. In 1995, Dr. Young-Hee Goh was elected the 15th director.
In 1996, Dr. Young-Tae Chung the 16th. In April 1998, Dr. Yong-Ung Lee the 17th. In July 2001, Dr. Bong-Ok You the 18th. In July 2004, Dr Min Chul Kim the 19th. In June 2010, Dr. ChangYoung Kweon has been elected 21th director, who manage the Presbyterian medical center 112 years old.

Our hospital has continued to offer superior medical care, at the forefront of the changing times. Our founder, Dr. Matty Ingold, began this hospital, healing and saving many lives in Korea with her hand of mercy.

Presbyterian medical center was the first to distribute basic health care over a century ago, and we have continued to raise the bar for modern and specialized medical treatment. We have been instrumental in raising Korea’s standard of life.

Presbyterian medical center’s mission is based on an ancient love fused with cutting-edge technology. We are up to date with HIS, PACS, and MIS medical information sharing systems.

Presbyterian medical center constantly strives to be current with word-class standardization, integration, modernization, education, and research. Through such efforts, we have transformed into a real?time digital hospital.

We take pride in our cardiology, transplant, and experimental track record along with our G.I. diagnostics and our high?pain management center.

We have made thankful and exhaustive use of our PET-CT unit, allowing us to make early detection of many cancers and diseases. Our VMAT accelerator has reduced a great deal of suffering in our oncology department, allowing highly pinpointed, site?specific radiation treatment. Our clients have endured much lower side?effects, and much higher satisfaction.

In 2005, we became the nation’s first general hospital NGO, geared to overseas medical mission.  We founded People for Medical Cooperation (PMC). PMC leads and encourages changes and upgrades in mission?medicine around the world, putting flesh on the words, “love thy neighbor.”

Several support organizations help maintain the christian ministry at the hospital. The Cancer Patient Support Association is a compassionate ministry which helps patient's families financially, socially and spiritually. The PMC Mission Society operates with funds contributed by hospital employees for medical care in doctorless village, and supports aged people, the unemployed, and patients needing cataract surgery. Presently, Dr. ChangYoung Kweon, the president of the Presbyterian medical center, with his strong innovative will in hospital management and the sacrifical efforts of the entire hospital staff, along with Gods Provisions are doing their best with a spirit as a debtor to medical and mission service which has now been entrusted to us by the Lord We, the entire staff of the hospital, must not forget Dr. Mattie Ingold's "first love" and must renew our resolution on the interitance and maintenance of this spirit of the establishment of this medical and evangelical institution and its development Although presently are faced with various difficulties, we will overcome them and uplift the glorious reputation of the hospital with scent of mercy and love.